Bradley Stoke North AZTEC West A38 road widening
The consultation is now complete and the results can be viewed here: Consultation feedback report
The A38 Gloucester road links the M5 at Junction 16 with Bristol city centre, providing access to the Strategic Road Network (SRN) from several significant employment sites within the North Fringe of Bristol. The A38 also provides links to large residential areas including Bradley Stoke, Patchway and Filton. It is one of the main routes serving the Cribbs Patchway New Neighbourhood (CPNN) and the Filton Enterprise Area.
A strategic transport traffic model was used to identify a package of measures designed to mitigate the impact of traffic arising from new developments. The package includes improvements at four junctions on the A38: J16 M5, Aztec West, Gipsy Patch Lane, and Filton Roundabout. Forward funding has been secured at three of the four junctions to ensure infrastructure is in place prior to development, Aztec West Roundabout is the remaining junction.
The following planned works are essential in order to improve the local infrastructure of the area.
The principles of the scheme as outlined in the following sections have already been agreed, and these are the conditions upon which the funding investments have been secured.
The council recognises that the works may cause some disruption and will endeavour to minimise their impact. Further specific details regarding traffic management plans and timescales for the works will be published nearer the time.
Purpose of Scheme
- The existing southbound approach to Aztec west roundabout is heavily congested at peak times and struggles to cope with the traffic demands made on it. The situation will deteriorate further as traffic growth continues.
- There are also no formal crossing facilities for pedestrians or cyclists at the roundabout itself. This results in some pedestrians and cyclists electing to cross the roads at the roundabout itself, with attendant safety problems resulting.
Description of the works
The scheme comprises the improvement of the A38 Aztec West roundabout through the implementation of the following measures:
- Widening of the A38 approach to the roundabout from the North (from Junction 16) to provide six lanes entering the junction (compared to the existing four). This will enable two lanes to be dedicated to each of the key traffic movements (left to Bradley Stoke Way, straight on to the A38 towards Filton, and right turn to the Aztec West Business Park).
- Widening of the eastern side of the circulatory carriageway to provide four lanes through this part of the roundabout (two serving the straight-on movement to the A38 south and Filton, and two serving the right-turn into Aztec West Business Park).
- Installation of new pedestrian and cycle controlled crossing points across the A38 northern arm of the roundabout, and construction of linking shared use paths connecting the crossing points. Installation of new pedestrian and cycle controlled crossing points across the Bradley Stoke Way arm of the roundabout, and construction of linking shared use paths. Installation of new pedestrian and cycle controlled crossing points across the Aztec West arm of the roundabout, and construction of linking shared use paths.
- The existing northbound and southbound shared use footway / cycleway either side of the A38 will be widened to a minimum of 3m from Aztec West roundabout to the M5 Junction 16.
The works are being planned and will be constructed in co-ordination with the works planned for the Metrobus project. While the two projects will be co-ordinated to maximise efficiency and reduce disruption, they must be delivered as separate projects. This is because they are significantly different in terms of their scope and funding availability. This project also has major differences in Utility works that could have a significant impact on the Metrobus programme if the two projects were linked.
A plan of the project can be viewed on drawing number T402-310-30
Along with the full 'Statement of Reasons' for the scheme located: Here
Works are planned to begin in the spring of 2016 with construction expected to last 12 months.
Have your say
Please take a look at the consultation documents before responding. If you would like to comment on the implementation of this scheme, please respond in one of the following ways:
Write to: FREEPOST Plus RTCT-JXLE-EET, South Gloucestershire Council, Aztec West A38 widening, Design & Operations Team, Civic Centre, High Street, Kingswood, Bristol, BS15 9TR
Phone: 01454 863717
This consultation closes on 18 September 2015.
This consultation has now closed, feedback on the consultation is now available here: Consultation feedback report
5 Aug 2015 at 00:00
18 Sep 2015 at 23:59
11 Dec 2015
Summary of Results
Consultation feedback report
This document describes the results of the consultation.
|Consultation Topic||Local highways and transportation projects|
|Geographical area||Almondsbury, Bradley Stoke Central and Stoke Lodge, Bradley Stoke North, Bradley Stoke South, Patchway|
|Marking a consultation as relevant to a particular audience indicates that it may be of special relevance to people within that group. It doesn't, however, mean that other groups wont find the consultation of interest - we welcome responses from everybody.
For example, education issues may be of particular interest to Parents & Guardians, and so will be shown to people searching the system for parenting issues, but the views of others (eg: Business, Faith Groups) are also relevant.
|Target Audience||All residents, Businesses & employers, Councillors / MPs / MEPs, Expert stakeholders, General public, Neighbouring authorities, Partner agencies, Police, Service users, Town and Parish Councils, Visitors, tourists & non-residents|
If you have any questions or would like to make any comments, please contact:
South Gloucestershire Council,
Tel: 01454 868004