Wheelchair Accessible Vehicles for Taxis
Consultation on the Council’s proposal for 1) A specification for Wheelchair Accessible Taxis and 2) The proposal to publish a list of all licensed vehicles
South Gloucestershire Council’s Regulatory Committee have agreed to consult on a proposal to publish a list of all licensed vehicles. The background to this, which was initially for Wheelchair Accessible Vehicles, is outlined below.
In summary, the Committee wishes to provide users of the licensed taxi and private hire service in South Gloucestershire with as much information as they can to enable an informed decision on how best to travel.
The proposal is therefore to publish the following details of all licensed vehicles on the web site:
- make and model of the vehicle,
- whether taxi or private hire vehicle,
- the name of operator.
- contact details
- information about the size and weight of wheelchair that can be accommodated, and
- whether wheelchairs that are larger than a “reference wheelchair” can be accommodated
- Generic photos of the type of vehicle may also be included
If you have any comments or concerns regarding this please respond to this consultation.
The Council is also consulting on a specification for wheelchair accessible vehicles. Statutory guidance states that a vehicle should only be included in the authority’s list of wheelchair accessible vehicles if it would be possible for the user of a “reference wheelchair” to enter, leave and travel in the passenger compartment in safety and reasonable comfort whilst seated in their wheelchair. The definition of “reference wheelchair” is set out in detail in the specification.
A copy of the Council’s proposed criteria for Wheelchair Accessible Taxis and the Public Register can be found in the 'Documents' section below, along with a copy of the survey.
The Council will consider all responses made during the public consultation period before Regulatory Committee make a decision and, as an interested party, your views are therefore sought.
The consultation period commences on 16th September 2019 and ends twelve weeks later on 8th December 2019. Your response or observations, in writing, should reach this Licensing Authority by no later than 23.59hrs on Sunday 8th December.
Respond to this consultation in the following ways:
- Read the proposed specification for Wheelchair Accessible Taxis here
- Read the proposal for public register of accessible licensed vehicles here
- Read the Access for Wheelchair users Taxi and Private Hire Vehicles Statutory Guidance
- Read the Initial Equality Impact Assessment and Analysis here
- Complete the online questionnaire
- Download and print a paper copy of the survey to post to us or hand in at a local library or one stop shop
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Write to: South Gloucestershire Council, Corporate Research & Consultation Team, Council offices, Badminton Road, Yate
BRISTOL, BS37 5AF
Internet access is available at the Libraries to view the consultation documents.
Should you have any further questions we advise that you contact a member of the Licensing Service on 01454 868001.
13 Sep 2019 at 14:00
8 Dec 2019 at 23:59
Initial Equalitiy Impact Analysis and Assessment
See how the proposed changes are likely to affect protected characteristic groups
|Marking a consultation as relevant to a particular audience indicates that it may be of special relevance to people within that group. It doesn't, however, mean that other groups wont find the consultation of interest - we welcome responses from everybody.
For example, education issues may be of particular interest to Parents & Guardians, and so will be shown to people searching the system for parenting issues, but the views of others (eg: Business, Faith Groups) are also relevant.